Creating the Graphics Layer
View the code: https://github.com/FluxHarmonic/flux-compose
Starting next week I'm moving the stream start time forward by one hour.
Streams will now be Tuesday and Thursday, 2PM - 5PM UTC!
Graphics Layer Design
Let's continue with the idea we came up with last time to see how far we can take it:
- Use a retained mode rendering model
- Describe the graphics to be rendered in the Scheme layer
- The C layer will interpret and render the complete scene or instruction list efficiently
- The Scheme layer can replace the graphics instructions at any time (REPL-based "drawing")
- Animations will eventually be possible by describing changes to elements in the scene over time
The goal today is to get some basic things rendering in a preview window and possibly save it out to a .png file.
Here's what I'd like to accomplish today:
DONE Rename the project to
DONE Get the screen clearing
DONE Find a faster way to iterate on the native layer
DONE Get something simple rendering in the C code
DONE Figure out why
init-graphics is crashing the process, can we come up with a good debugging strategy (running via gdb)
TODO Transmit drawing instructions to renderer thread in some form
TODO Get the
basic-gfx.scm example working
TODO Render the completed image to a .png file
The commit for the code from this stream: